The start of my autobiography ...
The original idea of making a site like this is to create a myspace for myself. (The pun is intended. I don't think it was a bad idea.) I have very many interests and I have so many online footprints. It is hard to keep track of all of them myself. So this portal site is my humble attempt at consolidating my online & offline fragmented self.
So this consolidated version should help me keep track of all the things I care about for myself which includes:
Want to support me in my quest of understanding my narcissism?I support your narcissism!
Here's the breakdown of what I am planning around the coffee money:
- Domain Name Refresh: ~ 12 dollars a year
- S3 storage + Databases: ~ minimal as of right now but will likely expand if I were to add more interesting projects
- Google Vision Kit + Voice kit: Planning to play around with them and use them as the starting point for my personal robot called Jarvis. 89.99+ 70.92 = $160.91 as of Nov 4th 2018.
- Coffee or tea to fuel building things?
Tools that I occassionally use
These are the things I have learned on my own through building or taking classes online. These are the important means that I will accomplish my build list. Through my build list, the skill tree will only grow longer. Maybe then I will be able to be like Tony Stark and build cool shit out of anything.
|Front & Backend||Data Science & ML||Platform Technologies|
|jQuery||Tensorflow||Atlassian Stack (Confluence + JIRA)|
- Project Management: Asana, Trello, JIRA
- Editor Dev Utilities: Atom, Sublime, Github
- UIUX Prototyping: Figma, Whimsical
- Fragmented Thoughts/Resources Collector: Nuclino, Toby
- Computer: MacBook Pro 2017
- Newsletter: MailChimp
- Blogging: Wordpress, Medium
|Person||His/Her Story||Why it inspired me|
|Renee (Xiaoyu) Wang||She is the founder of CastBox. Raised 29.6 million as of 11/11/2018. She worked at Google Asia as an account manager. She majored in Psychology in Peking University.||
|Jake Burton Carpenter||Founder of Burton Snowboard. School Dropout. Burton snowboards account for 35% of global snowboard market||
These are things I like and moments that I find precious?
|More Specific Categories...|
The best way to prepare for your biography is by making a list. So first things first:
- 1991 - Born in Wuhan, China. I am the only child as most of my peers.
- 2002 - Sold roses to couples on Valentine's day and became painfully aware how bad of a salesman I was
- 2002 - Wrote my first poems in trying to woo a girl that I like
- 2003? - Became obsessed with the question "who is Shengyu Chen" and thought philosophy is awesome
- 2003 - Won first place in a competition that took the whole family on a trip to Singapore and Malaysia
- 2004 - Became obsessed with the whole survivalist mentality after reading SAS Survival Handbook. Decided that I needed to learn how to survive in the wild by hunting, making shelter, first aid knowledge and conceal presence.
- 2004 - Told my dad that I want to be an entrepreneur but in reality, I just wanted to be the boss that orders him and my mother around
- 2004 - Started using Google in School thought the name "Google" was pretty goofy.
- 2007 - Came to the US through an exchange program in Washington State. People here are pretty laid back. I branded a calf, camped out in the desert, and unknowingly had Rocky Mountain Oysters.
- 2007 - Became acquinted with the idea of polymath and the renaissance man. I really really admired Da Vinci and wanted to be like that but I was also repeatedly told that jack of all trades can't accomplish shit.
- 2009 - Attended Northfield Month Hermon School in Massachusetts and played Football
- 2010 - Started modern dancing classes and choir classes. Joined a dance company and learned later that I have no talent in playing piano nor singing.
- 2010 - Started taking a lot philosophy and art classes at NYU while getting acquinted with NYC's night life
- 2013 - Found the love of my life/soulmate and she has been giving me enormous strengths in times of high and low. She made me realize it is okay to be myself
- 2014 - Finished the 100 books project and started learning a bunch of random things online through Coursera, Youtube Videos. Started thinking maybe I should just be a philosopher that makes a living by making furnitures like chairs and desks
- 2015 - Graduated from Cornell while being impressed by the power of data science
- 2015 - Started cooking seriously
- 2016 - Went to Grace Farms for the first time and began to understand how beautiful space can move & elevate people
- 2016 - Finished reading "In Praise of Shadows". Beauty, like truth, has a quality on its own. I love beautiful things.
- 2016 - Start to binge through Audible on my way to work. Finished 30 audible "The Great Courses Series" ~ 600 hours.... Mostly around subjects such as world history, America, Japanese, European histories, nutritions, literature, classical music. I still want to be a reanissance man that knows about a lot of things.
- 2016 - Got the urge to build and create something after binging through the Y combinator podcasts on "how to start a startup" and realized, damn, I really need to start doing things that don't scale
- 2016 - Went to San Francisco for a Chinese entrepreneurship conference at Stanford and Berkeley. I met several people and learned of passion, authenticity and the desire to build.
- 2017 - Started writing weekly and record as much as I could thorugh writing. Everything I wanted to learn, I wrote about them. Built my first website from start to finish.
- 2017 - Decided that I need to start building things. I need to create things with great sensibilities.
- 2018 - Realized how dishonest I am with myself and learned how all the more important the words written down are than spoken in passing.
- 2018 - Started drawing for the first time in 10 years.
- 2018 - Got hooked in to anime and found so much authentic moments and emotions. I began to understand a lot of the emotions that I had forgotten or ignored. This is the year I started to put my life in motion. Launched a podcast program. Presented how to read a book.
- 2019 - What kind of year will 2019 be?
"What is this? Some kind of tumblr paying homage to your first world petty bourgeois wet dream? This doesn't sit well with me. I don't approve."